Thursday, May 21, 2009

What is Yoga and Why Does it Hurt So Much?

Well, a few months ago I decided to try Yoga. I wanted several things: a way to relax, greater flexibility, and generally, a more healthy lifestyle. Now, I'm not a kid anymore and haven't been one for a long time! I was probably about twenty pounds overweight but not in real bad condition. I used to run a lot and played a lot of handball. About ten years ago my back and knees told me that they didn't want to do that anymore, so I've been walking two miles about six times a week.

Anyway, after looking around for a bit, I finally found a Yoga studio about ten minutes from my home. I went over there one Saturday afternoon and just watched a Yoga class.
I said to me, "Well, that doesn't look too difficult - I think I'll give it a shot!" So I signed up for a course that met every Wednesday evening for an hour. I bought a blue rubber Yoga mat and figured that I was ready to go. I wondered if I should get some Yoga accessories like straps, a mat bag, my own emergency medical response team! I decided to hold down the cost for now until I decided if I really want to get deeply into Yoga.

The following Wednesday evening I arrived early and discovered that a more advanced class was in progress, so I just sat and watched them for a while. I thought that I might be able to do some of those poses, but not be able to undo them! Well, we got started. We had a really nice, very capable instructor who had been doing Yoga for over twenty years.

Things were easy at first but, as life usually is, kept getting harder and harder. Now I had been having trouble with my left knee for some time - on occasion it would just buckle. I fell a couple times and almost did many times. This made getting into (and out of) some positions almost impossible without substantial pain.

I stayed for the entire course and even took the next one. It became obvious, however, that I would have to get the knee fixed before going any farther. Well, I finally did (that's another story) and am now thinking seriously about going back to Yoga. I did enjoy the classes so may be I'll go back. I'll let you know what happens later.

For information on Yoga and meditation items, camping and outdoor gear, emergency survival kits, home water purifying systems, video games and computer accessories visit our website at visitfrogkreek.com/.

1 comment: