Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Appreciation of the Classic Tao De Jing, by Stephen Mitchell

The Tao De Jing was known as Lao Tzu's "The Way". According to tradition it was written around the 6th century BC by the sage Lao Tzu, or Old Master who was purported to be a record keeper in the Zhou Dynasty court.

On my bathroom floor in front of the toilet lays a pocket edition translation of Stephen Mitchell's Tao Te Jing. I picked it up so often the pages fell from the binding, and then I bought a new one. It is one of the most inspirational books in my possession and a constant reminder to relax and enjoy life.

There are 81 stanzas in the book followed by a brief analysis of each by Mitchell. I have no idea how many times I have reviewed this small book, but it must be hundreds of times. It is a true classic and never gets old. Each time I review a stanza more insight comes into view.

It is a short book, the original only 5000 words long. Rather that prose it speaks in stanzas that reveal the masters actions in situations that occur in life. It puts me in a place where I believe I can be a master, at least the master of my destiny. This verse is an example:

"I have just three things to teach:
simplicity, patience, compassion.
These are your greatest treasures.
Simple in actions and thoughts,
you return to your source of being.
Patient with both friends and enemies,
you accord with the way things are.
Compassionate toward yourself,
you reconcile all beings in the world."

For me, reflecting in the Tao is an experience that I would recommend to anyone interested in following ancient Chinese wisdom. Stephen's translation is beautiful, lucid, easily understood, and fits our times as well as those thousands of years ago.

My name is Bill Tallmon. I am an alternative health care doctor and offer homeopathic and naturopathic consultations, for people with both acute and chronic disease. My Doctorate degrees are Naturopathic Doctor and Doctor of Philosophy in Natural Health. I am a long time reader of ancient civilizations and ancient and modern philosophies of European, Greek, Chinese, Indian, Muslim, and other cultures. I am a collector of ancient and modern quotes. My PhD dissertation Natural Health and the Biotech Revolution investigates the modern wave of biotechnology and the potential impact on health. I invite any comments concerning this article

http://www.embracingnature.net
email drtallmon@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment